Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Android OS is Seriously Fragmented….Really?

I just read another article about the seriously fragmented Android OS. Really? When is this insane rhetoric going to stop? Sure, there are many versions running on many different devices out there. Many of the older devices are not capable of running the new ICS and will never be upgraded.

So wouldn’t it be nice if we could all have the latest and greatest of everything? Sure it would, but that’s not even practical (unless we’re millionaires).

Here’s my point. How many of us are still running Windows XP, or maybe even an older version? I still have an XP machine, I only recently bought a laptop running Windows 7 (I missed Vista) and now Windows 8 is just around the corner. And then there are the suite of Office programs. My older machine still has Office 2003 installed, I then used 2007 and now I’m using 2010. Where are all the articles claiming that Microsoft is “fragmented”? Or Apple? Might there not be older Apple iOS machines still running out there?

I’m also the owner of a 1994 Chevy van. My budget doesn’t allow me to buy a 2012 model, especially since I also need one with a wheelchair lift. My TV’s are still the older tube type. A new LCD one is on my wish list and when I can budget a new one I will have it. The same with my cell phone. When I can I will move from my Rumor Touch to a new smart phone (hopefully running ICS) I will buy that also. Are all my things I need and use everyday “fragmented”?

I’m a NASCAR fan too, and I have never seen everyone cross the finish line at the same time….only one! Everyone else is behind the winner. Some are way behind….maybe 70 laps or more….and some never finish.

Isn’t it that way with technology too? All of technology is moving at such a rapid pace, how can everyone keep up the pace? Whenever there is a new release there is another one right on it’s heels! Should all the manufacturers stop and let everyone catch up?

I hope I’ve made my point here. There are going to be devices still running the older OS no matter who’s they are. Technology is advancing at breakneck speed. So let’s not even expect that everyone is going to be using the latest and greatest of everything. Let’s stop the BS already!

Android is not “fragmented” in my mind. There are just many older versions still running out there. I know what your probably going to say. It’s fragmented because some devise manufacturers are making changes to the OS to run on their devices, like Amazon’s Kindle Fire for example. There will we find some variations, sure. But when these people argue about all the versions that are still running, (and call it fragmentation) just consider the race. It’s fast moving and impossible for us all to keep up.

Just saying……..

Feel free to comment.

-Ed

1 comment:

  1. Phentemine's growing reputation for being risk free, natural and safe for permanent weight loss treatment has helped it to become a best supplement today. These are of course not healthy, but will result in dramatic weight loss, and are seldom fatal. This is important query that you will want to answer,as many weight management capsules are designed to suppress your appetite.

    my website - phen375 diet

    ReplyDelete