Monday, October 3, 2011

Abandoned Flock

This one is a hard one to write about, the abandoned flock. You see….there are so many people out there….good people….. who have been completely abandoned…..left for dead…..by the pastors of their church! Now you’re thinking, “man, this guy’s harsh”! Well, this post is meant to be harsh. I want to shake them up and kick them in the rear! (The pastors).

You see, the people who are in the ministry, your Pastors, Ministers, Priests or whatever else you want to call them don’t seem to want to get out of their comfortable chairs, climate controlled offices to visit those who are hurting and not getting to church.

What are their excuses? Are they to busy with their church work? Are they doing the work someone else could be doing? Are they too timid to go to someone's home? Or maybe they are just lazy!

Some pastor’s delegate that duty to members of their church. Why I ask? The members should be doing other things so their pastor can get out to visit those who are imprisoned in their homes, nursing homes hospitals and jails!

There are many reasons (I won’t call the excuses) people aren’t in their church. They may be physical problems. Illnesses, disabilities, emotional problems. You name it, there are lots of reasons a person may not be coming to your church. Are the ones coming the only ones worth anything to you? Are you that judgmental that you won’t go to them? Are you not the shepherd of the flock? If the answer to that last one is ‘yes’, then get your rear out the door and be a shepherd!

I think if you’re in the ministry, then you should know your bible an awful lot better than I know mine. But I’m throwing these verses your way anyway.

Mat 18:12  How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
Mat 18:13  And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
Mat 18:14  Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

Well, how are your 99? Are they okay? Do you think you can leave them alone long enough to leave your church office to go to some of those who are suffering at home? Does someone have to drag you out kicking and screaming and make you do your job?

It is your job you know. Oh, I know some don’t like it to be called a job. It’s a “calling”. Well then, do what you were called to do, and do it today! And do it everyday!

If you don’t take care of everyone else just like you take care of all those really good people who come to church every week, how are you going to answer when your time comes?

Are you going to boast about all the good works you’ve done? I’m sure there are many. I’m not saying that you’re all bad. I’m trying to tell you that you are neglecting so many people out there. It’s wrong!

Read these next verses.

Mat 7:20  Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

That should scare the you no what out of you! I think I’d be just flying out of the church and looking for those lost sheep. Many may not really be lost at all. They’re just neglected, left unfed. Go to them, comfort them, feed them, bring them home!

How many, I wonder, will even read this? If they read this, will it make a difference? If you’ve read it, will you tell your pastor to read it and if you tell him/her to, will he/she? And if they read it will they take it to heart or just shrug it off as if I’m just someone who likes to rant? I don’t get passionate about much, but this is something that’s bothered me for many years and I’ve not said much to many about it. Now I’m saying it, publicly. Listen!

I’ll be watching to see how many hits this blog gets. I’ll be watching to see how many share this. Don’t disappoint me. Don’t disappoint your Lord!

-Ed

1 comment: